Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shaft El Grupo de Rock 2-26-11

by Richard Crenwelge

Shaft El Grupo de Rock, 02/26/11

I am always looking for something different to do on the weekends, and I truly treasure the times that I can find a show that is not on Red River. Luckily, this past weekend fell into the more favorable category. It was a blast from the past, featuring Austin band Shaft, at an incredibly cozy little bar called the Rabbit's Lounge.

I remember seeing Shaft 12ish years ago, which I believe was at Flamingo Cantina with the Applicators. The one thing that I remember about them then, and noticed again this past weekend, is that they are an extremely cohesive band (even though the line-up has changed). This is something that few local bands can ever claim to have accomplished, as it requires an intuitive, synergistic feel for each other, along with a ton of shared history and practice.

Musically, they are very similar to a lot of other bands that were becoming popular in the late 90s, and they of course share threads with the sounds that created their contemporaries. I always hesitate to compare bands to other bands, but it is nevertheless a useful tool for attracting new fans. When I hear Shaft, I definitely hear a current of Jawbreaker, and perhaps Texas is the Reason, but they are most similar to the music that I heard coming out on Asian Man, No Idea, and Fueled By Ramen at the time, most notably Tuesday, which was fronted by the “other” singer of Alkaline Trio. Shaft has the characteristic syncopation in their guitar riffs, short pop hooks, and heart-on-the-sleeve sing-alongs that helped mold a whole generation of aging ex-punks at the time. Note the legions of sappy, drunken, and bearded guys that followed Hot Water Music around for the next decade (and still do).

Although they claim that this show was “one of their last”, I have a feeling Austin will be able to enjoy Shaft for some time to come. Their shows are heart-felt and energetic, and the enthusiasm of their crowd is admittedly intoxicating. Look for upcoming shows at myspace.com/shaftelgrupoderock.

No comments:

Post a Comment